Begun in 1959, First Presbyterian Nursery School located in the small coastal environment of Santa Monica was then visibly surrounded by rolling hills, grass, the ocean and mountains a short distance away. As with many cities, Santa Monica has changed over the past decades. In the midst of this transformation from a small town to a burgeoning urban area, the school has remained a place of stability and a reference point for considering children and early childhood education within the community. Enhancing this sense of continuity is the fact that many families return generation after generation, supported by teachers and staff who have been a part of the educational team for not only years but decades. There have only been four directors since the school began.